BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, January 24, 2011

Newspaper Tower for a cinder block?


~Jan. 20, 2011~
On the first day of class we were told to bring newspaper and wood glue.

~Instructions:
Create a structure of your choosing that would hold a cinder block as high off the ground as we could make it only with the stack of newspapers and wood glue provided.
Process:
Probable for about the first 5min or so I was stumped trying to think about how the newspapers would even be strong enough to hold up the block.
I finally just decided to focus on the structure while making the tower.
I started first with rolling up each individual newspaper with glue into one long piece.
Then I bent both of the edges to make it into a circle and glued them together. I filled the hole with scrunched up newspaper to help support it and glued it to a square base I made.
My original construction was quite a bit smaller and more detailed but when I tried the cinder block on it became unstable so I ended up re-enforcing it around the edges with a stack of layered glued newspapers.

Conclusion:

In the end it did end up being able to stand I think somewhere around maybe 15-17" or so. I guess it was a success but I wish I hadn't hesitated my idea at the end to create an identical structure to place it on top to double the height. So I think that I will try harder next time to be more ambitious without worrying so much about failure.
I ended up with a good experience though and got to work with wood glue which was a new material for me.

0 comments: