BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Modular Project- Bamboo & Word As Image

Modular Project

I had originally a few different ideas that didn't end up working out, so I decided to drive around one day to find objects to use for my modular project. I walked around this park and saw that they had a small bamboo forest. I wanted to get the green ones because I thought that they were more pleasing to look at since you normally see live ones but I didn't want to cut any down because it was a public park and I didn't think that would be ok. As I was leaving I noticed that there was some that were dead that were just laying on the floor so I decided to gather those to use. I really liked the different textures, groves, and colors of all the bamboo. They were all very different even though they came from the same place.

My first thought was to somehow stand them all together and cut them into different lengths but as I was laying them out I really liked the way they looked. So I decided to keep them natural looking as they were when I found them.



I was advised to just keep it simple without adding to it. So I placed them along the wall and tried to make it to where anywhere you looked you would notice each piece of bamboo's best visual points.



The concrete floor was really bothering me and I ended up collecting white rocks from outside to lay down at the base. These ended up really helping my project and pulling it all together.

This all seemed to work well until as I was trying to place one of the bamboos in a certain spot it I slightly bumped another causing it to fall over which made a domino effect that caused them to all fall over then I had to start over. Throughout the process it fell over at least 5 times. The first one I had placed up was my favorite visually but I seemed to never be able to recreate it exactly since I didn't take a picture. This made me really frustrated because I came back the night before it was do to just check on it and someone had touched it again and I had to start over.



I ended up taking push-pins and hot gluing them to the back of the bamboos and pushing them into the wall. I did this for a majority of the bamboo to help hold them up from falling like dominoes again. It did help but was still very fragile so I tried to keep close eye on it. Over all it ended up staying up for the final.





Working with the bamboo some has really made me wast to experiment more with it. I would like to try to carve into them.
Over all I really enjoyed doing this project even though I got really frustrated at times.

Word As Image

Harmonious Image - Progress to Final Image









Contrasting Image - Progress to Finished Piece







0 comments: